Robert, Apprentice Software Developer in Scotland, loves the fast –paced environment and variety his role brings
Early Careers posted on 18 Feb
“Work is different every day and I’m always doing new things”
- Name: Robert
- Job title: Apprentice Software Developer
- Describe your role in one word? Dynamic!
- What area of Sky do you work in? CBS Customer Telephony
- Describe a typical day… A typical day for me would be 8:30 – 5 and I’ve found that mornings are the best time to set yourself up for the day. While cracking on with some coding I always like to listen to music, this helps me concentrate. Also having a browser open at all times to find new ways of doing things, helps my code to be more efficient. Lunch time quickly approaches while working and have no fear we have amazing catering facilities that meet our every need. Then the afternoon comes and it’s back to work. I sometimes play a game of pool in my free time to help take my brain away from work for a little bit.
- Describe your work/life balance at Sky? My work/life balance is amazing! In my free time I go out and socialise and people are always interested to hear about Sky. I love the way my work ties into my personal life!
- What’s the most enjoyable thing about your role? How dynamic life is here. Work is different every day and I’m always doing new things! Especially now as we’ve just launched Sky Q, which has created a lot of excitement around the office.
- What’s the coolest thing you’ve done at Sky? I’m based in Scotland and I regularly go to London for Apprentice training. I love the buzz around the Osterley campus and getting to travel is definitely one of the perks of the job.
- Your top application tip for people applying now? Don’t hesitate to describe yourself fully! Sky really look for personality over anything else. It’s all about collaboration here so having a brilliant personality means you are immediately valuable to the company!
- An interesting fact/something no one else knows about you? I’ve never seen any of the Godfather Films and don’t plan to!