Want to do the best work of your life? Make your mark at Europe’s leading entertainment brand. Our people make Sky a truly exciting and inclusive place to work – a place where you can be yourself and let your skills shine.
Based in London, this position will form part of an exciting new Sky team, reporting into the Director of Technology. The role will be part of a new division within Sky, and have overall responsibility for the software engineering team, along with its technology and product solutions.
“We’re looking for a Head of Software Engineering to join our team; scaling and heading up our software engineering capability, and ensuring our platform and product solutions support us to meet our business objectives as we deliver market-leading services to our partners and customers in the UK and Europe” – Director of Technology
What you’ll do:
- Manage and lead our software engineering team, maintaining the appropriate mix of skills and abilities to deliver the company’s IT goals
- Develop and articulate the vision and strategy for the engineering team; refine the engineering approach that will support delivery of the business objectives
- Own the development cycle: engineering policies, processes, best practice, documentation; ensure commonality of standards, purpose and goals across the engineering team
- Oversee project / virtual team assignments, out-of-hours cover for operational support and workload appraisal
- Create the engineering roadmap for platforms and technologies; lead the evaluation and selection of technologies and methodologies to be utilised by the engineering team
- Liaise with the wider organisation to define targets for the quality, performance, flexibility, security, run cost etc. of the company’s IT; ensure it meets functional and non-functional requirements, and compliance with applicable regulatory requirements
- Ensure progressive alignment with the wider enterprise, and ensure partner services and technologies meet with our own standards and practices
- Continuous improvement of internal systems and workflows – automation, tools etc. – in association with the delivery team
What you’ll bring:
- Commercial software engineering background (at least 10 years), with a track record of delivering complex, scalable software solutions into production
- Extensive hands-on coding experience prior to leading high-performing engineering teams developing cloud-based services, backend, frontend and mobile apps
- Software architecture: while not essential, it is likely that you’ll have a Bachelor’s / Master’s degree in engineering, computer science or a similar, relevant field
- A solid appreciation of DevOps principles and practices, with extensive grounding in data privacy and information security, and knowledge of dev/test process improvement, tools and automation
- Hands-on experience of Smart Home products and technologies (consumer IoT), cloud infrastructure technologies, and scalable, high-traffic transactional web apps, ideally handling payments
- A high degree of commercial awareness and the ability to model and forecast technology considerations such as running costs and lifetime costs
- Ideally you’ll be able to draw on your own experience of the transition from a self-contained technology start-up to a larger, corporate environment
- A strong collaborative approach to leadership and delivery: decisive while remaining open-minded, setting high standards and leading by example
There’s a reason people can’t stop talking about#LifeAtSky. Our great range of rewards really are something special. Here are just a few:
- Sky Q, for the TV you love all in one place
- Generous pension package and private healthcare plan
- Discounted mobile and broadband
- Access to thousands of LinkedIn Learning and Pluralsight courses
- A permanent, secure contract from the start (no probationary period)
Our Osterley campus is a 10-minute walk from Syon Lane train station. Or you can hop on one of our free shuttle buses that run to and from Osterley, Chiswick Park, Gunnersbury, Acton Town and Ealing Broadway tube stations. There’s also plenty of parking, bike shelters and showers.
On campus you’ll find six subsidised restaurants and a Waitrose. You can keep in shape at our subsidised gym, catch the latest shows and movies at our cinema, get your car washed and even get pampered at our beauty salon.
We don’t just look at your CV. We’re more focused on who you are and the potential you’ll bring to Sky. We also know that everyone has a life outside work, so we’re happy to support our people as much as we can with flexible working.
Especially during these challenging times, we’ll do everything we can to support you during your application. We’re currently recruiting through a fully remote interview process and you’ll also be able to start work with us remotely. But you’ll need to be living in the UK at the time of start and able to work freely in the country.
If you need us to make any adjustments to our recruitment process, speak to our recruiter, Wander Amorim, who will be happy to support you.
Apply now to build an amazing career and be part of a brilliant team. We can’t wait to hear from you.
To find out more about working with us, search#LifeAtSkyacross social media.
A job you love to talk about
Just so you know: if your application is successful, we’ll ask you to complete a criminal record check. And depending on the role you have applied for and the nature of any convictions you may have, we might have to withdraw the offer.