Want to do the best work of your life? With 24 million customers in 7 countries, make your mark at Europe’s leading media and entertainment brand. A workplace where you can proudly be yourself; our people make Sky a truly exciting and inclusive place to work.
Home networking and communications is key to the success of Sky’s next generation of customer services. Delivering a high-performance stable broadband offering, together with a leading in-home connectivity solution, Home Communications products will underpin the future for delivery of these services. Ensuring the seamless integration across a range of diverse products and technologies is required to ensure that Sky’s world class and award-winning products always embrace quality, ease of use, clarity of purpose and always have the wow factor.
The role is within the in our fast paced RDK-B Development team which is a part of Sky Home Communications Team. The Reference Design Kit for Broadband (RDK-B) is an open source initiative standardising software functionality for broadband devices. Sky is leading development of Opensource WAN manager for RDK-B. Role involves developing software that would be deployed across millions of RDK-B devices around the globe.
As a Software Specialist, you will play a key role in an activity that will, from a technical point of view, propose Software Component Architecture for Sky Home Communications software and RDK-B. You should possess a can-do attitude and have the desire to deliver high quality software design that are delivered into a very dynamic market sector. You will also be representing Sky in the RDK-B community, assist and influence the Technical manager in continuous improvement of the Home Comms Software.
You will work with multiple stakeholders and enjoy an exciting working environment where personal development is a key value of the team.
The ultimate aim is to play a key role in a World-class software team specifically developing the software for, and ensuring the delivery of, network-enabled products that are always on the cutting edge of technology, such that Sky’s customers can use them to do all the things they love, all of the time.
What you’ll do:
- Attend RDK-B architecture calls and define user stories documenting possible use cases in JIRA.
- Define clear software interfaces to external software modules and end-to-end deployment scenarios.
- Provide input into the feasibility, planning for delivery of the proposed architecture.
- Define and document software component architecture.
- Identify technical changes necessary to realise specific project requirements.
- Contribute to technical investigations, identifying and applying creative problem-solving methods and debugging techniques.
- Work with 3rd party partners and suppliers to integrate their solutions into Sky products.
What you’ll bring:
- Extensive experience of Software development experience in C on Linux targets.
- Experience with RDK-B.
- Experience in defining software component architecture for IP routers, VoIP, DSL, GPON, DOCSIS, Wi-Fi, Network Devices and experience with networking protocols such as TCP/IP, SIP, RTP, PPP, DHCP, IPv4, IPv6, Opensync, OVS, TR069, WebPA etc.
- Team player that enjoys collaborative working
- Clear and flexible communicator capable of exchanging ideas or summarising technical information with appropriate levels of detail depending on audience.
- Strong personal organisation skills.
- Self-motivated individual who can work in a fast-paced environment.
- Meticulous, Thorough, Creative, innovative thinker with excellent problem-solving skills.
- Sound appreciation of the software life cycle.
- Flourishes in helping to provide a supportive environment for fellow team members
We’re the team behind the infamous Sky products line-up. From Sky+ to Sky Q. From hardware and software to intricate design. Could you help us turn an idea into the next big thing? As a team, we’re collaborative, empowered and innovative – together, we’re proud that everyone’s favourite Sky products are #MadeByUs.
There’s a reason people can’t stop talking about #LifeAtSky. Our great range of rewards really are something special, here are just a few:
- Sky Q, for the TV you love all in one place
- A generous pension package
- Private healthcare
- Discounted mobile and broadband
Where you’ll work:
Our location takes some beating: we’re practically in Brentwood station, which has regular trains to London Liverpool Street. If you find it easier to drive, there’s some onsite parking, while Chatham Way car park is a short walk away
Recognised as an ‘Inclusive Top 50 Employer’ and a ‘Times Top 50 Employer for Women’, we’re working hard to ensure we’re a truly inclusive place to work. This means we don’t just look at your CV. We’re more focused on who you are and the potential you’ll bring to Sky. We also know that everyone has a life outside work, so we’re happy to support you as much as we can with flexible shift patterns.
And we’ll do everything we can to support you during your application. If you need us to make any adjustments to our recruitment process, speak to our recruitment team who will be happy to support you.
Apply now to build an amazing career and be part of a brilliant team. We can’t wait to hear from you.
To find out more about working with us, search #LifeAtSky on social media. A job you love to talk about.
Just so you know: if your application is successful, we’ll ask you to complete a criminal record check. And depending on the role you have applied for and the nature of any convictions you may have, we might have to withdraw the offer.