Want to do the best work of your life? With 24 million customers in 7 countries, make your mark at Europe’s leading media and entertainment brand. A workplace where you can proudly be yourself; our people make Sky a truly exciting and inclusive place to work.
This role is a senior position at the heart of the Legal team, and will primarily be focussed on general commercial litigation, including media and customer litigation, and general risk management and dispute resolution advice and guidance provided to the broader legal team and the business as a whole.
What you’ll do:
- Provide analysis and advice to internal clients (other members of the legal team or the business) on potential disputes with third parties, whether contractual, commercial, media or customer based.
- Take ownership of matters which have escalated to litigation or pre-action stage and running those with the input of business/legal stakeholders;
- Provide advice on drafting and other matters at pre-contractual stage, with a view to protecting Sky’s position and minimising risks of disputes;
- Provide legal advice to support Sky UK’s Anti-Piracy team. This will require a creative mind-set and the confidence to advise senior stakeholders on a wide-range of legal issues. You will collaborate with security, investigative, technical, and communications partners and with legal colleagues across the UK, IT and DE as well as Comcast and NBCU, and with Content Rights Holders such as the Premier League, UEFA, and the Motion Pictures Association as well as Sky’s key technology partners and other ISPs.
- Manage anti-piracy civil litigation and criminal prosecution work,;
- Consider, advise on and manage other ways to use legal and quasi-legal processes to disrupt pirate activity.
- Advise on contractual provisions to protect Sky’s content and prevent piracy.
- Instruct outside law firms/counsel where necessary and managing their delivery and budget;
- Contribute to team training, knowhow and continuous improvement initiatives;
- Support more junior lawyers/trainees in the team if required.
What you’ll bring:
- Minimum 5 years’ post-qualification experience within a highly regarded law firm or equivalent in-house
- Dispute resolution experience
- Commercial Litigation experience
- Experience of UK litigation procedure
- Strong contractual interpretation skills
The team currently comprises four senior legal counsel (including this role), one legal counsel, two paralegals, and one seconded trainee. We are responsible for all UK commercial litigation and disputes and brand and content protection. We are also responsible for the Group’s patent portfolio, as well as providing subject matter expertise on all intellectual property, litigation and dispute resolution matters. We play an increasingly important role in devising and overseeing anti-piracy strategies, including civil litigation and criminal prosecutions. We also protect Sky’s brands in all courts including the CJEU and Court of Appeal and in Registry’s around the world.
There’s a reason people can’t stop talking about #LifeAtSky. Our great range of rewards really are something special, here are just a few:
- Sky Q, for the TV you love all in one place
- A generous pension package
- Private healthcare
- Discounted mobile and broadband
Where you’ll work:
Our Osterley campus is a 10-minute walk from Syon Lane train station. Or you can hop on one of our free shuttle buses that run to and from Osterley, Chiswick Park, Gunnersbury, Acton Town and Ealing Broadway tube stations. There’s also plenty of parking, bike shelters and showers.
On campus you’ll find six subsidised restaurants and a Waitrose. You can keep in shape at our subsidised gym, catch the latest shows and movies at our cinema, get your car washed and even get pampered at our beauty salon!
Recognised as an ‘Inclusive Top 50 Employer’ and a ‘Times Top 50 Employer for Women’, we’re working hard to ensure we’re a truly inclusive place to work. This means we don’t just look at your CV. We’re more focused on who you are and the potential you’ll bring to Sky. We also know that everyone has a life outside work, so we’re happy to discuss flexible working.
And we’ll do everything we can to support you during your application. If you need us to make any adjustments to our recruitment process, speak to our recruitment team who will be happy to support you!
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, sex, gender, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.
Apply now to build an amazing career and be part of a brilliant team. We can’t wait to hear from you.
To find out more about working with us, search #LifeAtSky on social media. A job you love to talk about.
Just so you know: if your application is successful, we’ll ask you to complete a criminal record check. And depending on the role you have applied for and the nature of any convictions you may have, we might have to withdraw the offer.