Want to do the best work of your life? With 24 million customers in 7 countries, make your mark at Europe’s leading media and entertainment brand. A workplace where you can proudly be yourself; our people make Sky a truly exciting and inclusive place to work.
As a Systems Engineer with the Content Delivery Platform team at Sky Technology, you will ensure robust and resilient deployments of infrastructure and applications are made, to deliver our streaming products at consistently high performance to audiences across the UK, ROI, Spain, Italy, Germany and Austria
WHAT YOU’LL DO:
– A specialism or a keen interest in deploying and managing fleets of HTTP caching systems and associated control and management planes used to deliver linear and VoD streaming to audiences across Europe at multi-terabit volumes.
– Skills for commissioning server hardware from multiple vendors using bootstrap automation technologies such as IPMI/iLO/DRAC, pxe, RHEL/Centos kickstart / cloudinit.
– Ability to form and operate CI/CD deployment pipelines with Jenkins to roll out our team’s applications via Ansible to baremetal & hypervisors across Sky’s ISP estate and beyond + public/private cloud.
– Managing configuration and upgrades of production linux fleets using Ansible/Salt/Chef and secrets management with ansible/hashicorp vaults.
– An understanding of the importance of effective monitoring and logging, on and off server, deploying basic (syslog) and sophisticated log processing systems, eg ELK or Clickhouse + use of Nagios / Grafana / Prometheus for monitoring.
WHAT YOU’LL BRING:
– Sysadmin as a core speciality, RHEL/Centos distros preferred – performance tuning, custom/pinned repo setups, security hardening & iptables, shell scripting + a command of the usual UNIX tool kit via the terminal.
– Production familiarity with a range of virtualisation/container technologies using eg, terraform to define from baremetal, eg Docker, LXC, Xen, LVM, VMware and Openstack with their cloud equivalents at GC, AWS or Azure.
– Ability to network and secure baremetal/VM/container systems, ensuring isolation and performance of applications.
– Operation and automation of container & hypervisor tooling, eg docker, docker-compose, libvirt, xm. Building and maintaining custom Docker & VM images.
– Comprehensive, practical understanding of deploying/operating/troubleshooting web technology stacks on TCP/IP, addressed as v4 or 6, with ARP, DHCP, DNS, HTTP/1/1.1/2 and TLS.
– Enjoy presenting your ideas, challenges and solutions to engineers, developers and managers across the organisation and beyond.
– A flair for producing clear documentation and diagrams. Manage configuration and markdown using git.
– Production-scale deployment and operation of open-source applications such as, Apache Traffic Server, Squid, Varnish, HAProxy, nginx.
Content, Tech & Innovation: We use the latest tech to create and distribute the best entertainment. In other words, we connect our customers to more of what they love all day, every day. You’ll be joining a proactive, forward-thinking and collaborative team setting the standard for excellent innovation.
There’s a reason people can’t stop talking about #LifeAtSky. Our great range of rewards really are something special, here are just a few:
– Sky Q, for the TV you love all in one place
– A generous pension package
– Private healthcare
– Discounted mobile and broadband
WHERE YOU’LL WORK:
Brick Lane Office, Spitalfields, East End of London
Recognised as an ‘Inclusive Top 50 Employer’ and a ‘Times Top 50 Employer for Women’, we’re working hard to ensure we’re a truly inclusive place to work. This means we don’t just look at your CV. We’re more focused on who you are and the potential you’ll bring to Sky. We also know that everyone has a life outside work, So we’re happy to discuss flexible working.
And we’ll do everything we can to support you during your application. If you need us to make any adjustments to our recruitment process, speak to our recruitment team who will be happy to support you.
Apply now to build an amazing career and be part of a brilliant team. We can’t wait to hear from you.
To find out more about working with us, search #LifeAtSky on social media. A job you love to talk about.
Just so you know: if your application is successful, we’ll ask you to complete a criminal record check. And depending on the role you have applied for and the nature of any convictions you may have, we might have to withdraw the offer.