Source and acquire content as part of the Acquisitions team working across Sky1, Witness, Syfy and E! (including Sky DE & IT where required), including platforms and services. Rights expert with an in-depth understanding of the acquisition process, negotiates independently or as part of a team on behalf of Sky with external rights holders and should be capable of representing the team within Sky and in external meetings including with the US Studios.
As a member of the team within Acquisitions, you’ll help secure the best acquired content for the business and. build relationships with internal and external content stakeholders, source and negotiate deals for a wide range of scripted content and provide strategic support in the wider Sky business.
• Be responsible for the negotiation of deals with key distributors including US studios and provide deal support on key output deals
• Working with internal and external content stakeholders, including Sky commissioning, channels, marketing, legal and finance teams, on long term planning and key deals, sometimes multi-territory
• Sourcing & screening new programmes, reading scripts or treatments and advising (as part of a team) on their suitability for the business for the Sky Entertainment channels, the sole aim being to secure best in class content for Sky
• Distribute to colleagues around the business screening links, ensuring that our acquisitions are screened, feedback is given to the distributors and any titles are effectively promoted once acquired
• Develop and maintain key distributor relationships to ensure that Sky is the first stop for any new TV & any other projects
• Own the financing invoicing process for the newly acquired channels from NBCU, with the sole aim to get a seamless process in place
• Deputise for the Head of Acquisitions where appropriate (depending on experience)
• A good business head, as well as first class organisational and communication skills, and the ability to multi task
• Strong interpersonal skills. The ability to prioritise effectively, excellent attention to detail and a proactive, creative approach to problem-solving are all pre-requisites for the role as is demonstrable aptitude for working collaboratively – and thriving – in the lively, fast paced environment of Acquisitions
• Demonstrable knowledge of both scripted and unscripted acquired programming as well as editorial trends– particularly in the US market – and the wherewithal to track down international programming
• A keen interest and/or experience in kids’ content is a must.
• Sound understanding of the mechanics of content acquisition deals and in-depth understanding of programming rights
• An eye for a TV hit and know your 9-1-1 from your Das Boot. and are prepared to be passionate and vocal about your opinions
• Excellent IT skills, particularly in Outlook, Excel, PowerPoint and Word are all essential, as is the ability to work with Sky in-house systems such as Ariba (costs and expenses management) and Rights Logic (rights management). Training will be provided.
• Can do, highly flexible, proactive attitude is a must, as is the ability to inspire the more junior members of the team