Playout Operator, Chilworth
Within the broadcast centres we manage the playout of almost 100 channels, including high profile channels such as Sky Atlantic and Sky One; live channels such as Sky news and Sky Sports; and cutting-edge broadcast technology such as UHD and, of course F1 with unrivalled live coverage of all race weekends.
For channels with pre-recorded content, operators can be controlling up to 15 channels simultaneously. For channels which require more manual involvement in ensuring a seamless customer experience, for example complex live sports, news and pay-per view events, we use single control rooms. This ensures that all the live feeds coming in from around the world are integrated seamlessly into the programme schedule and that this remains so even when responding to changes and scheduling of live events, responding to delays, overruns and postponements which are all possible in a live TV environment.
Playout ultimately ensure that the scheduled programmes (including all adverts, graphics moves, audio and video content) go to air correctly and that if an issue does occur it is dealt with as quickly and effectively as possible. Of course no one wants mistakes but, if there are any, our job is to make sure the customer doesn’t even know about them.
Join as Playout Operator and you’ll be part of a dynamic team that makes sure our technology delivers the best experience for our customers.
As a valued employee of Sky, you’ll benefit from a free Sky Q premium package (one off payment required for installation), an excellent pension scheme and private health care. Plus, there’s a great range of other benefits to fit around your needs too.
We’re always looking to improve, developing pioneering products and services that give every one of our customer’s experiences they’ll love.
Sky Playout provides the delivery of all Sky, 3rd Party and joint venture channels hosted by Sky, onwards to the Broadcast Platforms. As a Playout Operator within this department you will be responsible for monitoring and maintaining the technical, operational and presentation quality of the output at all times.
Your Key Responsibilities:
- Taking responsibility for any operational issues that need to be addressed, resolved, or escalated as appropriate
- Building positive relationships by being proactive, professional and supportive when dealing with issues
- Being fully compliant with, and maintain comprehensive knowledge of, all technological & operational requirements in your area
- Liaising with key stakeholders & 3rd parties courteously and effectively
- Ensuring that all aspects of Ofcom Codes of Practice relating to the channels are observed accordingly
- Working with your Managers and the Playout Team to improve service delivery
- Understanding department and business implications of failing to meet service delivery
Full training will be provided but experience in the following areas is considered an advantage:
- Demonstrable technical aptitude with a positive approach to development
- Professional knowledge of Playout systems, workflows, processes and delivery.
- Excellent understanding of editorial and compliance policies, particularly around live broadcasting
- Understands and articulates the contribution Sky Playout makes to the overall business
- Can easily adapt actions and words for different audiences.