Harry McGuinness Customer Service
‘Everyone accepts you for who you are’
Why did you choose to do an apprenticeship at Sky?
I was looking for different types of apprenticeships as I wanted to get hands-on and earn while I learn. I came across the sky apprenticeship and the first thing which stood out to me was the wage! I have never known another apprenticeship to pay the same as just a regular employee and I thought that this was amazing. Another thing is Sky is such a big company with lots of different routes to follow and I was excited to work for such a big and inclusive company.
What’s the culture like at Sky?
The culture at Sky is very friendly no matter what background you are from everyone accepts you for who you are. Everyone is friendly and always happy to help.
What does your apprenticeship involve?
So, my apprenticeship involves 20% learning and the other 80% on the job. So, in my day-to-day role, I take calls from customers of Sky all over the UK. These calls all include queries about our products. Troubleshooting any faults and selling products. In terms of apprenticeship work, we get a module each month to complete and track all of our learning through an excel spreadsheet. Each month we then have a meeting with our apprenticeship coach who checks all our work and keeps us up to date with any new work. The apprenticeship lasts approximately 12 months.
What has been the highlight of your apprenticeship?
The highlight of my apprenticeship would be when I went to the Isle of Wight festival with Sky. I was the face of social media at the festival and got to meet loads of famous people such as Martin Kemp! Fleur East and Ella Henderson. I also got to interview many artists as well such as James the band, Sam Feldt and Kaiser Chiefs. It was such an amazing experience after only being at Sky for eight months it really shows that anything is possible if you work hard within the company.
What has been the most rewarding project/ experience you’ve been involved in?
Id says that the most rewarding project I have been involved in will be the befriending scheme. This is in partnership with age UK and what it consists of is ringing an elderly customer each week, talking about anything. This is to tackle loneliness, especially during the Covid 19 pandemic.
Would you recommend doing an apprenticeship at Sky?
I would recommend doing an apprenticeship at Sky because you never know where it could lead or what you will be doing next.
How has this apprenticeship helped your career?
The apprenticeship has given me more skills in how to talk to a range of different people and made me so much more confident around people. It gave me the skills that I need to communicate and become a better person.
How are you supported in your development?
Development is a key thing at Sky, and they are a company who help in every form of way to develop. We have weekly one to one sessions with my manager who talks me through stats and areas for improvement within my role. I was also part of an initiative called rising stars which gave me the skills and knowledge for different roles within Sky.
What advice would you give to someone applying?
To anyone who is applying I would say simply just be yourself. Know about the role and what it consists of and always believe in better. I have found that that motto does not only evolve around our product, but it also includes being an employee at Sky because the sky really is your limit when you work in such a great company.