Dave shares his experience in being the Senior Business Analyst at NOW TV
"The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination."
Name: Dave Holgate
Job title: Senior Business Analyst
What area of NOW TV do you work in? I work within a team of business analysts that forms part of the wider Change Delivery Team.
What do you love most about your role? Working creatively with every business area to ensure the best solution possible is identified and supported through to delivery.
What is the best thing about working at NOW TV? The fun vibe and can do culture.
Take us back to when you were little, and tell us what you wanted to be when you grew up? I wanted to ‘walk with the animals, talk with the animals…’ aka a zoo keeper!
Give us a short play-by-play of what your day looks like, from waking up to heading home:
- Get up, get dressed, get out on the road.
- Arrive at work early, fire up the laptop, check the day ahead, grab a coffee and breakfast to go.
- Plan the day around the key contributions I need to make, whether that’s driving workshops or documenting the needs of the business.
- Dependant on the sessions of the day I’ll then be:
- Driving sessions to get the right outputs that we’re aiming for
- Encourage participation and collaboration from everyone attending
- Shape the understanding of the business proposition and ensure reality is checked against possible solution options
- Using my experience and knowledge to productively challenge stakeholders and delivery teams to ensure we get to best end result
- When not actively in sessions I’ll be either documenting business needs with clarity, or continuing engagement with stakeholders or delivery teams to keep traction on our plans.
- During the day I’ll take a break and grab lunch from one of the many on site deli style cafés or restaurants.
- After another fun and rewarding day in NOW TV I head home to my Hertfordshire bolt hole.
What do you specialise in (e.g. do you have a role specific speciality)? My ability to know and understand people so that I can drive the best engagement from them.
Tell us about a project that you are most proud of and why? Before joining the NOW TV team I spent 18 months in the Service Operations area of Sky where we delivered all the escalated support processes and procedures for a major email transformation programme.
What’s the most useful bit of feedback you’ve received? The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination.
Tell us about a manager who has really supported your development and how they did this? My current manager is the Lead BA of our team who trusted in my abilities by giving me Lead BA responsibility on a large strategic NOWTV programme.